Friday, April 19, 2013

I'm Your Only Suspect

Eagleheart - Season One (2011)
rating: 3 out of 5 cravats
on DVD from Carnegie Library

The world is a better place because half-assed comedies like Eagleheart exist in it. On the one hand, the fundamental absurdity of procedurals like CSI: Miami and Walker, Texas Ranger make send-ups superfluous. Seven minutes with David Caruso on YouTube (thanks Syl) will restore your good humor before breakfast. But after the coffee and the eggs and bacon, you'll want something else to watch, and that's where Eagleheart comes in.

Or it should. The truth is, Eagleheart is a tough show to track down without paying for it. The Comedy Central website isn't any help, and neither is Netflix. The first season was released on DVD a year ago, and my local library just brought in a copy in March. I don't know what that means for Chris Elliott's bottom line, but hopefully it's the last you'll ever hear from me about the politics of copyright and digital access.

Maybe I should review Burning Love instead. Like Eagleheart, each episode is standard Adult Swim length. Some jokes are better than others, all of the recurring gags are gags I've seen before, but everyone is jovial and well-rested. Faint praise? Backhanded? Not intentionally.

... But still, what a deflated post! Alright, I like Michael Gladis's Orson Welles impression a lot better than any bad decision Paul Kinsey ever made. I wasn't fond of Mickey Rooney in the Tim & Eric-lite sketch "Once in a Wattle." I think the creators are smart to keep continuity to a minimum, because it doesn't really matter which villain Chris Monsanto is assigned to take down, or when, or why. Come for the puns, stay for the jokes about swingers.