Thursday, December 01, 2011

The Pie Hole

Land of the Lost (2009)
directed by Brad Silberling
rating: 2 out of 5 cravats
on DVD from Netflix

I was dog-tired when I watched this, and with my sleepy dog that's saying something. The stakes were low, of course, and I know nothing about the source material. But is that the sort of floundering preface the movie deserves? At this point, hasn't the national conversation about Land of the Lost already pivoted from "box-office disappointment" to "better than expected?"

It reminded me of a movie I might "catch" on a plane, except that I can't think of my last mile-high seat with a screen. I was moderately entertained by and not at all invested in any of the characters, but consistently surprised by Anna Friel's accent, which I think is the way she talks. She and David Thewlis probably made for a very British pair.

Sometimes I try to sound bemused on this blog but it comes across as fatigued, which in spite of what I said about being tired isn't the case. But Land of the Lost is a forgettable, if innocuous, film. At least it wasn't The Romantic Englishwoman, another movie I watched this week but can't find it in me to review, for reasons related to not understanding why Tom Stoppard is a popular writer. Now that was a picture in need of Danny McBride!