Thursday, April 07, 2011

From Pittsburgh to LA in One Kentucky Mile

Justified - Season One (2010)
rating: 2 out of 5 cravats
on DVD from Netflix

Did the joys of Deadwood distract me from Timothy Olyphant’s grip on a pistol or a cup of coffee? It’s like he can’t stop picking things up, and each time he gets his hands on a file folder in Justified, I’m reminded of a bird’s wing, or Noah Cross at the crime scene, or the way that Nazis smoke cigarettes in the movies. Everyone jokes about palm trees in Scranton on episodes of The Office, but when did the desert come to Harlan County?

I’ve been accused of digging up excuses to “justify” the bad shows I watch instead of letting them be what they are, and I know that I’m tough on early seasons. So don’t expect more than the pithy comments already provided in exchange for your time today. There’s no doubt I’ll be queuing up Season Two along about this month next year (strong women? Count me in!), but let’s cross our fingers that Betty Draper gets the love she deserves before then.