Tuesday, August 24, 2010

You Work Hard for Your Money

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster (2004)
directed by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky
rating: 2 out of 5 cravats
on DVD from Netflix

Was Lars Ulrich’s father Torben always a known variable within the band? A famous tennis player, yes, but an obtuse guru opining beneath long hair across from his son? Some Kind of Monster says nothing new about fortune and fame, fatherhood, or lifelong friends. So what? It disappointed me because it wasn’t the Metallica movie that I, as a Metallica fan, wanted to see - at least until Robert Trujillo appeared and reminded me of how cool I used to think these guys were. My finally watching this was predicated on Syl sending me Jim Breuer's memories of hanging out with Lars and Hetfield back in the day, but I should have followed the link to Breuer's Dave Chapelle impression instead of logging into Netflix. That said, I've probably quoted Some Kind of Monster enough in the last month to cover for lost time, but who gets credit for that?