Sunday, June 13, 2010

Baby by the San Francisco Bay

The Room (2003)
directed by Tommy Wiseau
rating: 4 out of 5 cravats
on DVD at Banjo's

I wanted to quote this clever IMDB critic wholesale, but that isn’t what you, my lucky readers, pay me for. You pay me to be derivative and sloppy. I missed completely, it seems, the early collective discovery of this movie, and I missed the tour of midnight theaters that The Room made (still makes?) in the wake of Tim and Eric’s endorsement. If I hadn’t – if I’d read too much – I would have been better prepared and more cynical, but in retrospect I think The Room would still have won me over. As it is, it was a kind of pre-game talisman that played some part in spurring the Celtics to their last victory over the hated Lakers in Game 5 of this year’s NBA Finals. We gathered around the sofa, with dogs and a blind cat at our feet, and what began as a fifteen-minute preview segued into watching the entire film.

The secret, I am sure, is seeing The Room with other people. Without the crowd, it would only be odd, but together – you, me, and Dupree beside one another - it is frame-to-frame funny. The formula, I promise, will not be duplicated by anyone involved in the production ever again, and nothing the director/star can say in interviews can add anything to the experience. Comedy is strange but sometimes it clicks, and it’s nice to share the laughs when it does.

Scott Foundas, by the way, clearly watched it alone.