Saturday, August 22, 2009

David McCullough's Frylock

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (2007)
directed by Matt Maiellaro & Dave Willis
rating: 3 out of 5 cravats
on DVD from Netflix

The diabolical frenzy that constitutes an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force has come at me like the occasional back-alley stick-up through the years. Which is to say, unexpectedly, but not unwelcome in a life open to a little adventure (ha again). I don’t have cable, and can therefore sympathize with the grungy New Jersey existence of Master Shake and crew, while still not really watching them all that much.

I rely on friends who love Aqua Teen to show me Aqua Teen, and I missed the boat when the movie came to town. If anything, by making room for the series’ rogues gallery of intergalactic visitors, mad scientists, and grumpy Carls-next-door, the movie finds a kind of rhythm in its introductions and rising action that results in a nicely paced 80-minute feature. Meaning I might be wrong about not being able to handle whole seasons at a time on the miracle of DVD.