Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Aerosmithsonian Pump Truck

Aerosmith: The Making of Pump (1990)
rating: 3 out of 5 cravats
on DVD from Netflix

In retrospect, how happy and simple an invention the “flipper” disc seems in the days before mandatory 3-minute FBI and Interpol warnings! Count me in on any conspiracy theory that suggests dual-layered DVDs did nothing but waste more of my movie-watching hours, which are valuable to me even (or especially) when I find myself wrapped up in an Aerosmith documentary financed by Aerosmith’s record label. There is more than a hint of Spinal Tap – a compliment if ever there was one - in the oversized props placed in an otherwise stark, white room from which each member of the band pontificates, in turn, on the art of collaboration and the realities of age. The Making of Pump is, I hope, most famous for Joe Perry’s immortal statement that if he wanted artistic integrity, he’d be playing coffee houses in Cambridge. Being an arena rock band means comprising, and Aerosmith is a diplomatic corps for the ages.