Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Michael Caine in the Look that Defined Men's Fashion for a Century

Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)
directed by Woody Allen
rating: 3 out of 5 cravats
on DVD from Netflix

A wall has been constructed in my estimation of Woody Allen, and a well-intentioned one-time fan can climb no higher than 3 out of 5. The lines I always remembered from Hannah and Her Sisters were, of course, Mickey's quick goodnight to the well-meaning Holly: "I had a great evening. It was like the Nuremberg trials." And sure, it's still funny, except that Dianne Wiest plays Holly with such sincerity that I couldn't help but be hurt on her behalf. Once upon a time, I'd have argued that that's what Woody wants you to feel, but come on. Sure enough, Holly winds up married to Mickey by scaling back her cocaine use; Mickey lands a few more insults at the record store, and on Thanksgiving everyone's learned to be happy with what they've already got - in Mickey's case, a pregnant bride thirteen years his junior.

I think it's time for an episode of Rocko's Modern Life with Boone.



Who could resist?