Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Camouflage Chic

Predator (1987)
directed by John McTiernan
rating: 4 out of 5 cravats
on DVD from Netflix

Watching a collection of witty retorts from famous 80s action movies that Syl sent over reminded me that I've more or less come full circle in what I want to see on the tray of my DVD player. Full circle to 9th grade, that is. An invisible alien that comes to Earth to hunt crack commandos in a South American jungle (and I'm sure Predator was pitched with even fewer words than that) is the best way to distill mind-melting afternoon heat into a hot shot of summer entertainment. Never mind that now I can immerse myself in - and no doubt be disappointed by - the Alien vs. Predator behemoth; what's important is that I can finally start recommending the original, instead of just quietly shuffling my feet when someone else talks about how great it is. Begin with each character only having one name - Dutch, Dillon, Mac, Blaine, Billy, Poncho, and Hawkins - and let each of them - men of few but substantial words - take it from there.