Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Low Hurdle

Persepolis (2007)
directed by Vincent Paronnaud and Marjane Satrapi
rating: 3 out of 5 cravats
on DVD from ELO

I didn't read Persepolis for the same reason I never pick up a copy of Blankets at my local comic book store. When I have money for comics, I like colors and other planets more than clean lines and a break-up. Persepolis the movie is about a girl in Iran in the 1970s and 1980s. It doesn't try to be much more - maybe something about growing up or gratitude to mom and dad - and it isn't. Could a film like that be live-action and still get made? Probably not. The sensation of flying on a first date in a car is barely justification for animation. But I didn't know about snow in Iran. Whatever benevolence so benign an observation imparts, it is one more reason to think of human history as shared, as short, and as isolated in its occurrences - an emptiness against which small gestures do their part.