Friday, April 18, 2008

Chop Shop

Battlestar Galactica - Season Three (2006/2007)
created by Ronald D. Moore
rating: 3 out of 5 cravats
on DVD from Netflix

The obvious low ebb this season - when I felt compelled to apologize to someone who wasn't even watching the show for what I've since heard was everyone's least favorite episode - made the movies I've put aside for another fifteen hours of Ronald Moore's half sci-fi/half West Wing next-generation extravaganza feel like that much more of a loss. But I persist because Battlestar Galactica is a great idea, however often it is humbled by hysterically bad writing. Unintentional humor is unfortunately all that the show ever provides, between bouts of characters growling their way towards the next round of fistfights or cardboard familial estrangements, but at the eye of that Bluto-like machismo (even the girls hit like boys) is a hero so full of cowardice and egotistical self-preservation that it's tough not to think he's the point of it all. And that potential - for the show's own subversion of everything I dislike in everyone from Kara to Adama to the scribe behind "The Woman King" - is what keeps me on the telephone.

At least the on-set barber knows the value of a laugh.



I'm pregnant with triplets!